Thursday 14 October 2010

Cheaper by the dozen

On the workbench at the moment are the beginnings of a batch of small saloons. I've sourced six inexpensive German promotional tram models from e-bay, by dicing and slicing I can get two carriages out of each body. Here's what the donor and the donated parts look like.


Normally I dislike batch building, but there are advantages to be had. Here I'm progressing a couple of bodies to a relatively complete state. This allows me to cut out multiples of some of the added components, making templates for the awkward shapes like the vestibule end screens. I have ideas to vary the individual models, the most noticeable will be to have some to a UK style and the others to a more colonial pattern.

1 comment:

Jam said...

A neat idea Neil. From the photos on NGRM it makes me say 'ramshackle elegance'! (Not meant to be rude!) Not quite sure how compatible those words are together but I like the look of the saloons - especially the way each one is different.